Umhausen is conveniently located in the center of the Ötztal valley at 1031 m above sea level. It nestles at the heart of a wide open basin with lush fields and meadows. This easy loop tour combines all nearby highlights, covering a total distance of 20 kilometers and about 500 meters of altitude gain. Therefore it makes also a perfect mountain bike excursion for less experienced bikers.
The first part of the route leads northwards along the Ötztal Mountain Bike Trail which runs through the entire Ötztal. Pedaling along the rushing waters of the Ötztaler Ache river, you get to the vertical Engelswand rock face located between Platzl and Lehn. Here you find one of Tirol's top-notch climbing gardens. A wonderful meadow right next to the rocks invites you to take a rest and to watch the daredevil climbers. Maybe you want to give climbing a try?
At the southern end of the loop tour you should not miss out on visiting the Ötzi Village, an outdoor park documenting life in the Neolithic age. Nearby Stuiben Falls, Tirol's biggest waterfall with a falling height of 150 meters, are worth-seeing as well. Back in Umhausen you are recommended to enjoy a rest in one of the historical inns that feature precious facade paintings.
Tips and hintsMore details about biking & cycling in Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/biken
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.