Keine besonderen Schwierigkeiten
Tips, hints and linksRotmoostal valley
- The high proportion of sediments (glacier flour) causes the glacial streams to constantly grind down the stream bed.
- The striking red Riedmoos peat of the Rotmoostal valley. These metre-highlayers of peat enable the climatic conditions of vegetation of the past tobe explored as this moorland has developed over thousands of years since the last Ice Age.
WATER IN THE ÖTZTAL VALLEY
Water, the element which has shaped the Ötztal valley.
The glaciers are melted by the sunshine, releasing fresh water which feeds into the meadows and the Ötztaler Ache river which winds its way along the 65 km long valley. The Ötztaler Ache catchment area extends over 893 km² with an elevation from 700 to 3,774 m. This glacial meltwater fills the reservoir used by the local population and provides a supply of drinking water.
Glaciers store ¾ of the world’s freshwater reserves and therefore represent the biggest natural waterstorage in the world.
In the year 1770, the advancing ice dammed many of the big lakes here which triggered catastrophic flooding across the entire Ötztal and Inntal regions when they burst their banks. Natural hazards and disaster made people want to know more about and better understand nature, which also facilitated glacier research. The many facets of water in the Ötztal is not just of interest for scientists. The Ötztal glaciers are recreational destinations for locals and guests alike as these ice worlds offer great hiking and skiing in surroundings of outstanding natural beauty. Crystal clear river waters swollen by icy glacier meltwater make for superb rafting, white water canoeing and other action-packed activities.
More details about hiking In Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/wandern
Getting thereObergurgl-Hochgurgl is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingIn Obergurgl-Hochgurgl the following parking facilities are available:
- Car park Village center Obergurgl (in front of the church on the right, behind the multi-purpose building where the information office is located)
- Parking lot with coin entrance Parking Place entrance - valley station Festkoglbahn, free of charge
- Parking Hochgurglbahn valley station, free of charge - no parking at night
- Parking Top Mountain Crosspoint, free of charge
- Parking Hochgurgl, free of charge (very small parking)