Trail length / Time required
Almost 400 meters of altitude gain on a total rope length of about 800 meters. Ascent 2.5 hours, descent 0.5 hour.
SAFETY ON THE VIA FERRATA
The Austrian Alpine Club has published 10 recommendations for climbing on via ferratas in order to increase safety:
- Plan carefully
- Destination should correspond to personal abilities
- Use complete set of professional climbing equipment
- Don’t access the route in the event of a thunderstorm
- Check wire rope and anchors accurately and critically
- Partner check at the access point
- Maintain sufficient distance
- Talk clearly when overtaking someone
- Watch out for falling rocks
- Respect nature and environment
Tips and hintsMore details about climbing in Ötztal:
Getting thereHaiming is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in the Inn valley. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
Haiming/Magerbach. Follow the Apple Road towards Silz, cross the bridge over the autobahn on the left after about 3 minutes, then walk towards the climbing access point. Slightly rising trail to Geierwand rock wall.
ParkingParking area behind Rafting Alm and rafting exit point
EquipmentEquipment: helmet, climbing harness and complete via ferrata climbing set, via ferrata gloves, appropriate climbing shoes, enough to drink!
Basic Equipment for Via Ferratas
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Via Ferratas
- Via ferrata set
- Climbing harness
- Climbing helmet
- Via ferrata or hard-wearing safety gloves
- Positioning lanyard / personal anchor system with screwgate carabiners for resting
- Via ferrata belay kit if required (when accompanying beginners and / or children)
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.