The cycle tour up to the Ötztal Glacier Ski Area also includes an unrivaled superlative: "highest point in the Alps that can be reached by road bicycle". For record hunters this may be enough incentive to conquer the Glacier Road covered with a wonderfully smooth asphalt surface in 2004, but also for all those who are mainly interested in scenic natural beauty, an excursion on two wheels into the eternal ice is worthwhile.
In 2005 and 2007 the Glacier Road was conquered by the cyclists of the Deutschland Tour. From 2015 to 2017, Rettenbach Glacier was the queen's stage finish of the renowned Tour de Suisse.
PS: "The red-white-red highlight at 2830 meters altitude: Jan Ulrich described the climb as 'cruelty to animals' and Jens Voigt wanted to call the mountain rescue team for an avalanche warning. Any questions?"
Hard-nosed cyclists then continue to Tiefenbach Glacier on a further 3.4 kilometer long stretch with 210 altitude meters. (Bicycle lighting is advisable for the tunnel leading to Tiefenbach Glacier).
Safety informationNational road traffic regulations apply. Generally valid and common rules of conduct.
Please note that there is an increased risk of accidents and injuries in road cycling sports. Despite accurate tour planning, there is always a basic risk. Appropriate tour preparation including endurance sports, suitable training programs and further education as well as personal circumspection considerably reduce accidents and risks.
Tips and hintsMore details about biking & cycling in Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/biken
Getting thereSölden is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingThe following parking facilities are available in Sölden:
- Parking lot Postplatz
- parking lot Stiegele
- stair parking
- Giggijochbahn + underground garage
- Gaislachkoglbahn + underground garage
- Parking Hochsölden
- parking garage Hochsölden 1. parking lot
All parking is free during the day.
Parking for several days (eg hike tour):
- Postplatz, Parkticket available at the information Sölden
- Parkgarage Gaislachkoglbahn, Parkticket either online or directly at the cash desk of the Gaislachkoglbahn
EquipmentThe personal cycling equipment must be safe, ready for use and correspond to the respective technical standard. Additionally, road cyclists are strongly recommended to find out more about the planned tours in specialist literature or on site. Complete road cycling equipment is recommended even for very experienced cyclists!
Special tip: Bicycle lighting is advisable for the partially sparsely illuminated tunnels.
Basic Equipment for Road Cycling
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Cycling shoes
- Padded shorts and jersey
- Water bottle and cage
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.